The stairs is the first one you should inspect. The danger of being careless when using stairs needs no explanation. Even adults easily get injured when they go up and down the stairs recklessly. And the injuries from stair-related accidents are often serious. Here are some ways to make stairs safer.
- Adding a slip-proof matting on individual steps
- Adding a soft rubber mat on the exact spot where the stair ends on the bottom to reduce injury
- Teaching children stair safety
- Putting a non-slip grip on the stair handles
Electricity is important for our modern society, but they are not supposed to come into contact with human skin because they can cause myriad injuries. Most adults know better than to poke their bare hands inside an electrical outlet, but not children. One of the common causes of child accidents is electrocution. So if you have children, make sure your electric outlets are safe.
- Installing power outlet covers help a lot in keeping your child safe especially if the outlet is not being used.
- Covering outlets with furniture so it is difficult to reach by children
- Renovating the house to transfer outlets higher beyond the reach of kids
The danger in the bathroom is slipping. Young and old people can fall victim to the lack of friction caused by soapy wet tiles. But sometimes, there is no way around it. Bathroom tiles will get wet and slippery. Here’s what you can do.
- Place anti-slip plastic or rubber mats on the bathroom floor
- Change the tiles with anti-slip tiles through renovation
- Add some soft cushion on the corners of the sink and rubber cushion on the toilet seat to avoid injuries.
- Make sure that the soap is secured in the tray so it does not accidentally fall off and cause an accident.
The kitchen is the place where you cook your food, but it is not the place for children to be alone by themselves. Unfortunately, they do sometimes come to the kitchen and play with whatever they can find there including knives, forks, and other sharp objects.
- Make sure that the oven has child safety features so they can’t open it and come inside.
- Secure knives in high places so children can’t reach it.