- To begin with make a plan. Gather pictures of what you are trying to accomplish, write down your ideas. If it is garden area, flower beds, water falls, pools, picnic areas, sidewalks etc. Lay out your vision and where each feature belongs. Think of the parties you will have and how your yard can accommodate those events. Make the most of the space you have available by optimizing each section to fit the purpose you have in mind.
- Define the areas you have laid out. Begin with yard prep and remove unwanted items, and begin your yard prep. Next you will need to separate each area so that plants, bark, grass or dirt won’t spill over from one section to another. Establish permanent borders that separate each special place in your yard. You can use commercial edging materials, railroad ties, bricks or you can use Creative Edge concrete borders which is the most durable product available and lasts a lifetime, to define each space. Determine your budget and do some research. You may be surprised at how affordable it is to have someone come in and install concrete curbing for you.
- Water is the next step. Now that you have defined each area, determine what areas will need water and run the lines needed fir each section. Begin with the more complicated ones first, such as the waterfalls, grass areas or pools. Then move to the flower beds, garden beds, or tree circles.
- Now that you have established the physical shape of your yard defined your yard and run your water lines, its time to install each feature area. You can put in those plants, flowers, bird baths, tables, and gardens in place. Begin with the most difficult project, such as, the waterfalls or pools. Then work your way to the more simple projects one at a time, remembering to optimize each plot to fit your needs.
- It’s time for the finishing touches. Now you can begin to fill in between each feature area with bark, grass, sidewalks, or patios. Begin with the more complex features working your way to the final projects. Watching your dream roll out before your eyes is very satisfying, now its time to sit back and enjoy. This stage of the game is what makes all that work worth it and what you have been waiting for.