- Layered rug: This is the latest trend of using a handmade area rug in a home. There are so many ways to use this method. Do you want to know that what is a layered rug? Layered rug means to place one carpet on top of another carpet but the thing is the below carpet should be bigger than the upper carpet. For creating the layers you can make the combination of designer carpet with plain carpet or you can also use the different material carpet like wool carpet on jute carpet etc. It will provide extra coziness to your home. This method is suitable for the living area where you can create a focal point.
- Small Rug on Staircase: If you have a problem to measure the exact size of your stair then this is the best method to use for the staircase. Take small rugs which have similar design and color combination. If you don’t find it at any store then you can also customize your rug and place these on every step of a stair.
- Joint room together: You can use a handmade runner for combining two rooms in a single theme. You should use all carpets in your home in similar color combination otherwise it will not look good. You can also place a beautiful handmade runner at your entryway to living area. So that if anybody enters in your home then you can impress him quickly by your living style.
- Wall Hanging: Wall hanging is another way to use a handmade area rug. It is used to decorate your room wall. For the wall hanging you can take a medium size carpet or small carpets. So you can easily add the carpet on the wall.
An often overlooked but very easy way to personalise your window decorations, the tie backs that curtains usually come with tend to be fairly boring.
So why not replace them with…
- Antique door knobs. Only basic DIY skills required here. Add some boutique doorknobs to pull your curtains back behind. Stylish, and affordable.
- Gold or silver chains. But without the cost of the real precious metals obviously! Buy some heavy chains to use as ties, and spray them the colour of your choice.
- Leather belts. Use some old leather belts – as long as they’re not too frayed around the buckle. Or in fact, even if they are! It all depends what look you’re going for.
- Neck ties. Got a whole bunch of gentleman’s ties knocking around? Here’s a possible use for them. This can be a great option because there are lots of patterns readily available.
If you’re not down with your curtain-related terminology, “valance” is the decoration that hangs along the top of your frame. It often serves to hide the curtain rail or any other mechanism that you’ve got up there. They’re also sometimes known as “swag.”
Instead of expensive shop-bought valances you can try…
- Pennants or small flags. This is particularly easy in the US, where most sports team, camps, and societies seem to do their own little bunting flags. There’s no need to sew these together to make a valance. You can simply tie them up in a row, possibly with a little bit of ribbon if they don’t come with attachments of their own. Great for kids’ rooms.
- DIY with fun fabric. This will require some basic DIY skills again. All you really need to do is make a long and flat U-frame to shape the valance. Polystyrene is a good option for a lightweight material to use for this – you can get it in the form of ‘insulation panels’ from most DIY stores. You can pick up some interesting fabric (you won’t need very much after all!) for surprisingly little too. Then all you need to do is wrap your fabric around your carefully measured A-frame and pin it in place. Make sure the pattern is straight!
New curtains can be horribly expensive – especially if you’re trying to match existing décor. So why not make your own matching sets for a fraction of the cost of buying them new?
- Re-purposing old bed sheets. You’re going to need some basic sewing skills for this one, but the world is then your oyster when it comes to plaits and ruffles.
- Printing designs on plain linen curtains. Saving you the expense of pricey patterns, is this fun solution. The easiest way to do this is with stencils and spray paint. But you could also make a stamp out of a sponge for easy repeat patterns.
Check Well Dimensions
The first of these measures should be put into place prior to purchase, and has to do with well dimensions. It is very important that homeowners are aware not only of the type of equipment that will best fit their water well, but also of its dimensions. This is because differently sized wells require equipment with different levels of horsepower; an underpowered or overpowered pump in a well it is not suited for will break much more easily than a well-adjusted piece of hardware of the right size and potency for the well it is working in. Ensuring it the correct dimensions – either when first buying it or after undertaking home improvement work – can easily put off the need for a well pump replacement for at least a good few years.
Ensure It’s The Right Type
As well as making sure it is of the right dimensions, homeowners should equally be careful to check that the type of equipment they are buying fits their need. This is because surface equipment can only go so deep; deeper wells will need a submersible pump in order to cope with water distribution. Once again, taking the time to ensure they buy the correct one could save homeowners the hassle of having to order a well pump replacement relatively early into its life.
Always Hire A Specialist
As mentioned above, this is delicate equipment, even if it lasts a long time under proper care. Furthermore, it is a relatively unknown quantity to the vast majority of the buying public. This is why you should always leave any repairs to a qualified specialist. ‘Going DIY’ in this department can result in disaster, due to the specific nature of the problems these devices face; a specialist, on the other hand, will be able to accurately pinpoint and solve the problem.
Be sure to buy pressure-treated lumber. It is more resistant against deterioration and termites. However, it is still susceptible to dampness and rays of the sun. It is possible to preserve the wood without changing the color. You can utilize a clear wood stabilizer which has a ultra-violet protector. It adds new life to the surface of the wood and protects the material from extreme weather conditions. Apply another coat for better protection. Let the deck dry for two days prior to applying a sealant.
Building a new veranda is more complicated and requires a lot of expertise. If you have drafted a layout and have your budget ready, begin with the layout. You can opt for the 3-4-5 scheme. Draw a four feet line parallel to the house wall. One of the points will be stake A and the other is stake B. Connect another line to pole and let it run perpendicularly to a point three feet’ away. Connect the line to stake C. You will come up with a square corner with a five foot distance between pillars B and C. Make use of the stakes and strings to finish the framework of your portico. Accuracy is particularly important.
Determine the location of the posts based on dimensions in your outline and mark these points with poles. Post holes for tractions should be a minimum of three feet in depth and 12 inches in width. Deeper holes may be needed depending on ice conditions in your area. There should be a gravel base of two inches in the hole. Insert a concrete form with an eight-inch diameter. Fill the form with ready-mix concrete and drop a 4×4 metal weight into the middle of the concrete. Make sure that saddles are even and let the concrete dry overnight. Post height is measured by distance from the top of the floor to the base of the saddles minus thickness of the decking, trusses and beams. Attach the floor joints. Install the deck, railings and stairs.
Each homeowner has a different idea on how they want their fence to look, many can’t find what they are looking for and choose custom fences, creating that spectacular finishing and choosing a product that will enhance the overall appeal of their home.
The main advantage to choosing custom fences is that you get to choose your own style and size. Some people want a higher fence, while others enjoy the idea of a low white picket fence around their homes, which has been the finishing touch on the ideal family home in dreams of couples for many years.
You are in complete control of your design and can choose whether you want a board fence or picket design. When you choose picket, you can choose from a choice of styles including distance between picket, called the picket gap, which is perfect depending on whether you have children or animals or whether you’re choosing a custom fence for visual appeal only.
One of the main reasons homeowners choose custom fences to surround their property it to increase their privacy. A home without a boundary can be viewed by passersby. When you want to spend time in the front yard with your family, a fence can be the biggest benefit you ever invested in.
They add security to your home. They don’t only keep children and pets in and reduce the risk of accident, but they tend to keep intruders out. Someone who you don’t know and that is thinking of walking up to your front door, is likely to do so if there is a boundary stopping them.
There is nothing more frustrating than taking days out of your weekend to create the perfect front yard and then every day school children march across the newly laid lawn on their way to school, neighbors pets take advantage of your beautiful flower bushes and before you know it your front yard is a complete mess, only forcing you to spend another weekend trying to get it back to what you imagined.
Custom fences can create a boundary to your property, this reduces the risk of children and other animals taking advantage of the short route to where they are going and have to go around your property border to get to their location.
They provide controlled access into your home. You can set up CCTV cameras if you like, always seeing who is about to enter your yard. They ensure that visitor’s access through the gate provided and walk up the path to your front door, eliminating people unnecessarily walking through your garden and controlling who enters the property.
People with pets and children are more likely to consider custom fences before moving into a property. They are not only the visual appeal of the home, they are a useful tool in ensuring your pets and children are safe at all times. Children tend to find ways of sneaking out into the yard and the right style and size fence can contain them within the boundaries of your home.
The final advantage to this option is that a good quality and durable fencing solution around your home can add value to the property and also make it more appealing to potential purchasers should you ever decide to sell.
That bundle is a decent deal, but if you’re not ready for some of those pieces you are better off just purchasing the hub and the devices you really want. I chose a door lock from Schlage, an open/closed sensor for my front and sliding glass doors, and two light switches for the front porch and the garage hallway. This way when I arrive home in the evenings the lights come on in the house and out front so I can see where I am going and open the door based on my proximity to the house. I will also get alarms on my mobile device or in my email should someone open the door without my being there.
Once you get your hub get it set up by following the steps on the Revolv app for your phone. It guides you through a series of steps to correctly locate, plug in, configure with your wifi and connect to your home system. If your have a very large house and are worried about the range of the Hub, (usually about 50-60 feet in a normally constructed home) make sure to get a few Z-Wave devices as they will create a Mesh network allowing better control over longer distances and thicker walls.
Once the Hub was up and talking on my network I went ahead and installed my Schlage Home Keypad Lever door lock on the front door. It replaced my previous, boring, keylock without any extra drilling or hardware. The Insteon Hidden door sensor installed inside the door jamb without much fuss, I did have to scrape down the top of the door a little bit and I used a forstner bit to sink the magnet into place so there wouldn’t be any rubbing if the wood managed to swell a bit in the wetter seasons. With those two devices in place I launched the Revolv app and searched to see if they had been pulled in.
It didn’t take long at all for those two devices to show up in the app. Once I had control of them I created a simple “Action” for the devices that would unlock the front door and deactivate the alarm sensor when my wifes or my phone were within range of the geo-sensor. All in all it didn’t take long at all to set up the alerts for the door and to program in the lock codes. Even programming the revolv Hub and the actions took no more than an hour to set up and test appropriately. Now my hub is ready to go and I can add devices at will without having to purchase extra software or hubs. Currently Revolv supports Wifi, Z-wave and Insteon. You can connect Wifi and Zwave devices to the hub and control them all using the Revolv actions, or configure them separately depending on your preferences.
Choosing the Right Building
To get the right building there are several things that you will need to take into consideration.
- How many people will there be in the storm shelter? This will help you to determine the amount of area you will need to have in your building.
- How much space do you have? Determine how much land you will have to set your modular building in. Take into consideration any kind of drainage you will have to run and any utilities.
- What price are you willing to spend? Modular building can vary on price. It will depend on the size, company, and whether or not you will be building yourself.
- Do you need utilities and plumbing? Some people choose to put plumbing and/or electricity in. You will need to choose which is your preference and what will be viable to you.
- What will your city/state allow? Each city and state will have a different regulation. You will need to call and figure out what you will need to have. If you have a HOA you may need to contact them to see if there are any regulations.
Installing your Storm Shelter
There will be many different designs to choose from so make sure you choose the one that will work well. Next you will need to prep the land you will be using. If the land needs to be cleared you can hire someone to do the clearing or do the clearing yourself. If there is a lot of overgrowth consider getting some goats, or rent some goats to do this for you.
Once you have your lot cleared, you will need to rent some equipment to dig for your modular storm shelter or hire someone to dig it for you. Make sure that there is ample room for the home and any extras. Once the area is dug, you will need to put down a base like gravel and cement. You will then need to follow the directions from the modular building. Ensure that you follow all the steps and directions given to you by the company. Once your storm shelter is secured you will want to recover it with dirt and put an access door in.
You will then need to meticulously plan your wood staircase, making sure that you meet the local building regulations. Because people are so used to using professionally built staircases, it is vital that you build your stairs in a way that ensures that there is no difference in height between the steps, the steps are neither too shallow nor too tall, and, of course, everything has to be true and stable.
If you are going to build your own custom wood stair design, it is also advisable to purchase all the wood stair parts that you will need from a reputable supplier. If you use a specialist supplier, they will be able to supply you with quality stairway components and help you with design, fabrication and installation as well.
You will also need to understand the terminology used for the various wood stair parts, so here is a guide to some of the terms that are used in a custom wood stair design.
The tread is the horizontal part of the stairway that is stepped on. The thickness of a tread is the same as any other wooden flooring and the tread depth refers to the distance between the vertical panels, called the risers, which sit between each step.
The riser is the vertical panel that is situated between the treads. It forms the face of the step, but it may be missing on some custom wood stair designs, which would be called an open stair effect.
A stringer is the structural long piece of timber that supports the risers, treads, wood stair balusters, and other components of a staircase. On a typical stairway there will be three of these stringers; one on each side and one in the centre.
Wood stair balusters are the vertical posts that support the handrail. Sometimes called a spindle, or a guard; the balusters act as the infill between the treads and the handrail. They can be either plain, or decorative, and treads often need two balusters each.
The bullnose step is a step that has a rounded, quarter circle, edge to it, which is usually found at the bottom of a flight of stairs. Sometimes called a starter step, the bottom step is quite often wider than the remaining steps of the staircase.
Winder steps are the steps that are used when the stairway changes direction without a landing. They are the treads that are shorter at one end than the other, which you would find where a stairway turns a corner, or on a spiral staircase.
Contrast is important if your main focus is on aesthetics. A monotone room is difficult to enjoy because the room has one solid look in terms of the colour. Once upon a time it would have been the stylish and proper thing to do, but now it’s just boring.
Mismatching is okay. You wouldn’t put a blue throw on a blue couch. The two blues might not match. Just like you wouldn’t put a mustard coloured cardigan over a sunshine yellow shirt. Have fun when combining different patterns. The key is to make sure that the colours complement each other. For example, a mustard coloured throw over a navy blue couch creates some interest.
Odd ones out are also a must in the modern day lounge. An armchair does not need to match the style, shape or colour of the current couches and lounge suites. You could have a pink patterned fabric armchair matched with grey cushioned couches.
Carpets are great for any lounge. There is one factor that will need consideration first. Not every colour carpet will suit any lounge. You will need to consider the colours of the floors, walls and surrounding furniture. This item needs to follow a specific colour pattern that is already in the room.
Don’t use more than two different types of wood. Keep the wood colours to a maximum of two so that you don’t overdo the theme of the room. One of the woods should be for the legs of the couches and chairs and the other wood should be for the coffee table and entertainment stand if you didn’t find pieces that match.
The coffee table should be the piece that matches the entertainment stand. This flow ties the room together and adds elegance to the environment. The coffee table can also have a small decorative tablecloth and a vase of flowers placed on it for a homely touch.
Homeowners consider a wallpaper installation project as a DIY job. If you are thinking of working on your own, remember that it requires a great deal of patience. Also, you should have a meticulous eye to ensure proper installation. It is a tricky task because if you mess up, it can look untidy.
If you are thinking of choosing the DIY option because of the high cost of hiring a professional, consider this: If you make a mistake, you will have to remove wallpaper and buy a new one. It will increase your cost as well as waste your precious time.
By hiring a professional painter who is expert in installing wallpaper, you will be able to enjoy a stress-free renovation project. It makes sense to hire a professional because his expertise will ensure beautiful walls and less wastage of resources. Also, he will take repair wallpaper seam effectively with the help of professional tools.
When it comes to wallpaper, sky is the limit. You can choose from a plethora of designs such as traditional, classic, bold, graphic, etc. Remember that wallpaper has the power to transform and define a room beautifully. It will enable you to make a design statement that you desire and save you from a dull boring room.
When it comes to selecting a design, you must consider the purpose of the room. For example, if you are looking for wallpaper designs for the bedroom, choose soothing colors that promote calmness. On the other hand, if you want wallpaper for the children’s room, vibrant colors can be a good option.
The walls of your home are a canvas. And, wallpaper is the perfect way of making the canvas beautiful and elegant. So, make wise decisions and get ready for a beautiful and personalized home.